Here is a list of things to do and consider once you have a ratified contract, be sure to ask your REALTOR® if you have additional questions, including who you need to call about your utilities.
THINGS TO DO:
- Pay your earnest money deposit
- Stay in close contact with your lender to ensure they have all needed documents and all deadlines have been met.
- Pick your settlement agent. Ask your REALTOR® for a list.
- Attend your home inspection to learn more about your home. Decide whether you want a radon inspection, as well. Expect to spend approximately $300-$400.
- Work with your REALTOR® to negotiate your home inspection…
- Request time off for closing from your employer.
- Get homeowner’s insurance
- Arrange moving company, moving truck, and/or friends and family to help
- Schedule utilities to be turned on (electricity, water, gas, cable, etc.)
- Go to closing and sign paperwork. Get keys and garage door openers. CONGRATULATIONS!!
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER:
- Did you give final notice to your landlord?
- Do you want to have a cleaning company come in and deep clean the home before you move in?
- Where will your kids go to school? How close is the bus stop?
- Do you need high speed Internet for work? Is high speed Internet available?
- Introduce yourself to the neighbors
- Make a list of maintenance items you need to take care of upon moving in (e.g. change locks).